In 1950, the Lithuanian American Roman Catholic Federation (ARKLF) first discussed the idea of a summer campground for Lithuanian youth. In 1954, Dr. Adolfas Damušis was elected president of the Federation, and they began to raise funds in earnest to turn this idea into reality. In 1955, a 226-acre farm near Manchester, Michigan came to the attention of Lithuanians living in the Detroit area. Through the dedication and generosity of many individuals, that farm was purchased in 1955 (with possession occurring in 1956) and Camp Dainava, as we know it, was born.
Watch the brief, 4-minute video below (with English subtitles) to learn more about Camp Dainava’s history.
Learn about Camp Dainava's facilities. Click here.